Thursday, August 19, 2010

News & Sundries

Hooked up with the Emerald City Gamefest crew tonight down at the Wayward Coffee House. It was a fun, if light, session of role-playing. A couple posts back someone asked me why I hate on Steve Jackson's Toon RPG. There are multiple reasons, including the fact that I stopped enjoying "loony-toons" around the age of 6. But a LOT of the reason has to do with me not being a huge fan of light role-playing (not that I want "ultra-crunchy;" just something in between).

Actually, I think it may have to do with the whole 'toon thing. That really makes me irritable.

Anyway, I'm almost always down to learn a new game, light or not, and tonight it was Risus. Our setting was that we were all in a teenage "goth" band and out Ford LTD broke down near a "haunted mansion" where hilarity and mysteries would be solved. Kind of a Josie and the Pussycats meets Scooby-Doo. Except we had a dancing ferret (don't ask).

The worst part about gaming at a coffee shop at night is that it's a COFFEE SHOP. When the sun goes down, I generally want beer, not more caffeine. Ah, well...as I said, it was fun, and next week I'll have my beer BEFORE the game.

Regarding the book, printing, etc.: Got a call from the printer today. Their machine is still F'd. Rather than wait for it to be fixed, they decided to just send the printed paper to another "bindry company." The thing should be ready for pick-up by tomorrow morning.

All right...I REALLY need to hit the hay. Blog at y'all later!
: )

3 comments:

  1. Welcome to the world of Risus. I hope the experience was pleasant enough that you'd revisit the system again. It's hard to find a lighter game than Risus, so something tells me that it probably won't make your list of favorite games. But the premise for that Emerald City adventure sounds like it would be fun.

    (And does the Emerald City crew always do one-shots? If not, what systems to they use for campaign play?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't dancing ferret a record label?

    ...oh, I guess that's asking, huh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Risus: I don't think they're only about one-shots, though they play a lot of different games. I HOPE that's not all they do, since I've been wanting to start up a regular D&D campaign with SOMEone. I'm going to try to get on the schedule to start that next Thursday.

    I know that one dude has been running a regular "Risus Star Wars" game...but I'm not sure if that's a continuous campaign or just a series of adventures set in the SW universe.

    @ Cole: : )

    ReplyDelete