Thursday, May 26, 2011

Wild Talents


Just picked up a copy of Wild Talents the other day and have been devouring it in my free minutes (not that I have all that many). Man, what a great read!

Not that it's necessarily a great game...I mean, I don't know if it is or isn't as I haven't read page one of the game system. No, instead I've been reading the fantastic chapter on building and modeling a superheroic world. I read somewhere on-line that this section was penned/developed by Kenneth Hite...regardless, its fanatastic and lives up to all the hype that made me want to buy the book in the first place.

I mean, I already own many, many superhero game systems...including Godlike, the precursor to Wild Talents, and the first game by Cubicle Seven featuring the "one roll engine" system. Eh...it's not really my thing to play "limited" superheroes or use a crunchy (if elegant) system as a springboard for "storytelling." But Godlike sure is a great resource if you're into alternate history WWII (does GURPS have a WWII book? Frankly, this is the best I've seen in a game system, ever).

Wild Talents, though, is much more open in scope than Godlike...you can set the damn game anywhere you want, create any type of "comic book" setting you could want or even think of...from Silver Age Marvel/DC to Wild Cards or The Watchmen. And it tells you how to do it, building from the ground up.

That's pretty sweet.

And anyway, that's why I've been coveting the game for so long...honestly, I have plenty of superhero RPGs, most of which I find lacking for one reason or another. I figure the only way I'll ever play another supers RPG is if I design/write it myself (and no, THAT type of project is a loooooong way off). But I had heard about the essays and "campaign construction" and alt history stuff and I've been wanting to read it for awhile. I just couldn't quite bring myself to shell out the full price for the book (and I wasn't about to pay even $10 for the "essential rules" when what I really wanted was the "fluff").

But I found it used and half-price at Gary's.

Don't worry, folks. I'm still playing D&D tonight (and for the foreseeable future). But I wanted to share my excitement over a VERY cool book.

: )

5 comments:

  1. ORE is a brilliant mechanism.
    --I'm glad you enjoy the setting.

    GURPS WWII is an entire series.
    -- http://www.google.com/search?q=GURPS+WWII&hl=en&sourceid=gd&rlz=1D1GGLD_enUS409US409&aq=t

    B/X as a Supers RPG is called Villains & Vigilantes 1st edition.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No only is GURPS WWII a series, but GURPS Weird War II is partly written by Ken Hite.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, this was completely off my radar. I'll have to check it out. Thanks for the tip.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, I'm a demo guy for SJGames, and we get compensated with free product. I have every single GURPS WWII supplement, I got them on the off chance I ever get to run Godlike, I will never run out of material.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hunh, I have Godlike somewhere and got so frustrated trying to follow the rules that I threw it down in disgust. I never made it to the setting chapter; maybe I should.

    ReplyDelete